I was just thinking about how many things I have to be thankful for, and how seldom I write about them here. I guess 'tis the season for that kind of stuff. Anyway, I know I spend too much time complaining and not enough time rejoicing, both here and in my day-to-day life, so I want to make a little list of things for which I am very, very grateful:
- Baths. I am grateful that I have the time, the safe living space, the clean water, etc. that allows me to take a hot bath every night if I want to (and, several nights a week, I do).
- Mark. There is no way I can ever describe how lucky I am to have someone who knows me so well, loves me so much, respects me so much, and shares my life. I am incredibly grateful for Mark.
- My house. I am really grateful to have such a nice, comfortable living space, and to have almost no stressors when I am at home. My house truly is a refuge, and having lived without that, I can't overemphasize how important it is.
- My health. I complain a lot about my health maladies, particularly the allergy issues and the depression, but really, it could be so much worse, and I am so grateful to have a strong, healthy body and mind.
- My job. OK, so I really don't much like my job--that's true. However, I recognize that I am damn lucky to have it. It requires little of me and pays well, and it gives me the opportunity to do something that I am good at and to develop some skills/experience that may be useful later.
- Leo. Leo is actually what started this. I was brushing him earlier, and telling him what a complete gift from God he is. Especially given what happened with Chance, and how fragile Mark and I were, I really feel that Leo was the perfect dog at the perfect time, and it doesn't stretch my mind to imagine that someone sent him for us, and sent us for him. It doesn't get any better than that.
- My friends. I don't have a lot of friends, but the ones I do have are such fantastic human beings, and I am blessed to have been allowed into the lives of each and every one of them. I got a surprise email today from a friend from college to whom I haven't spoken in some time, and it made my whole day. Then, just now, my email notify let me know an email had come in from my best high school friend. Getting email from my friends makes me so fucking happy.
- Coffee. Maybe it's evil and consumerist of me, but I am really beginning to appreciate a nice foofy coffee. So sue me.
- Veteran's Day. It's been kind of a tough week at work, and today basically sucked, and I am so grateful that tomorrow is a holiday and I don't have to go in. I don't even care that it is unpaid.
- Girls' Night. Every Thursday, S. and I have Girls' Night. We generally go to a movie, though we once in a while see a concert or go to dinner or something else. Tonight, S. couldn't make it. Not that I haven't had a lovely evening with Mark, but I am definitely feeling how much I appreciate the weekly night out with S.
There is much more, but Atticus (for whom I am also grateful) is biting my fingers, so this will have to do for now.