As I continue to feel vaguely uneasy about my upcoming birthday, I thought it might be therapeutic for me to make a list of things I am surprised/impressed about when it comes to my adult self. I may not be everything I want to be, but I'm a few things I never expected. To whit:
1. I can now tell the difference between a bad cup of coffee and a good one, and, to a lesser extent, between a bad glass of wine and a good one.
2. I am no longer paralyzed with nervousness when I have to drive somewhere I've never been before.
3. I've learned to keep plants (mostly) alive.
4. I no longer have doubts about my employability. I may not always be able to find a job I like, but I can always find a job.
5. I don't apologize for my music taste anymore.
6. I am completely at ease describing myself as a feminist.
7. I've been involved in the rescue of nearly two dozen dogs.
8. I can now appreciate where I'm from while still being honest about how much I hated it when I actually lived there.
9. When I look back at high school, I'm not angry anymore.
10. I have a passport. It may not have any stamps on it yet, but I do have a passport.