I am laying aside my Maggie Mason project until after the holidays, since my Internet connection is going to be spotty at best for a bit. However, I can't resist the list of questions from Vanity Fair magazine that Karen at Chookooloonks, one of my very favorite blogs, posted the other day.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Feeling safe and feeling like all the people I love are safe as well.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Nobody loving me.
3. Which living person do you most admire?
4. What trait do you most deplore in yourself?
5. What trait do you most deplore in others?
6. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Bullheadedness cloaked as perseverance.
7. On what occasion do you lie?
Lots of occasions, actually. When there is a greater cause.
8. What do you dislike most about your appearance?
Depends when you ask me. Lately, my yellow teeth.
9. What is your greatest regret?
Generally not appreciating things when I have them.
10. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
11. Which talent would you most like to have?
I would LOVE to be able to sing.
12. What is your current state of mind?
I've been very stressed the past few days, but I'm mellowing as we get closer to leaving for the holiday.
13. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I'd like to be a more peaceful person.
14. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
The help I've been able to give dogs.
15. If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what would it be?
The idea of coming back is so odd to me, it's hard to answer this. I'd like to come back as another kind of animal, I think.
16. What is your most treasured possession?
Probably some of my books? I'm really not sure.
17. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
The kind of self-loathing that comes from addiction and the behaviors it can foster.
18. Where would you like to live?
At home, in Oregon.
19. What is your most marked characteristics?
Hmm...my height? I'd like to hope it's my generosity.
20. Who are your favourite writers?
Pam Houston, Dorothy Allison
21. Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
The entire Stamper family ("never give an inch")
22. Who are your heroes in real life?
23. What is it that you most dislike?
24. What is your motto?
What's the worst that can happen?
25. Favourite journey?
26. What do you most value in your friends?
Humor, tolerance, comfort.
27. Which word or phrase do you most overuse?
"No shit?" "Damn!"
28. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Hmm....what a great question. And I can't come up with a single answer.
29. What is your greatest extravagance?
I have too many. Bath products. Fancy coffee. Eating out. Gifts.
30. If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?
I'd give them more money. Or move them around so they'd be closer to me. But those things would both make them different, which I wouldn't want, so I guess I wouldn't change anything.
31. What is your favourite occupation?
Theoretically? Cultural critic.
32. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
33. What is the quality you most like in a man?
Ability to perceive privilege.
34. How would you like to die?
No preference as long as it happens a long time from now.
35. If you could choose what you want to come back as, what would it be?
Something that could do more to help. Maybe a St. Bernard!