Remember the other day when I was going on about how great it is that everyone's blogs are full of resolutions and goals this time of year and we're all bright and shiny-eyed and committed to bettering ourselves in 2009?
Well, I'm kind of over it.
I'm all about betterment of the self. I probably write more about my own efforts at self-betterment here than about anything else. I'm goal-oriented. But I'm 100% sick of my goings on about it right now, and of all of yours as well. Not because I don't think we should all be committed to being better people, but because I'm starting to freak out about our collective need for perfection.
So today, I'm going to tell you a few of things that are wrong with me that I'm not trying to fix. This is the stuff I'm not working on, the stuff that you are just going to have to accept about me as is if you want to be friends. If you want to do the same, either in the comments or on your own blog, I encourage it. I think we could all use a little time out to embrace our flaws.
1. I have zero hand-eye coordination. Seriously. It's pathological. I had to take a special class in elementary school for what was then referred to as "physical retardation" or something like that. Basically, it was three half-hours a week of trying to get me to learn to throw and catch. I hated it. My coordination hasn't improved much since then, either. I can drive adequately, but that's about the end of what I've learned. I am bad at all sports. I bump and bruise myself daily. I can't even play Tetris.
2. I don't floss. Ever. And I'm not going to start.
3. I can't sew. I've tried, I've failed, I'm done.
4. I only finish what I start about a quarter of the time. My follow through is severely lacking. I am a much better plan-maker than plan-doer.
5. I am not above picking fights to entertain myself when I'm bored.
6. If I don't like you, I probably won't bother to hide it or even be civil to you if I don't have a pressing reason to be.
7. I have a strong tendency to think things are not worth doing simply because I'm not able to do them.
8. If you grew up wealthy, I'm likely to take an unfair automatic dislike to you.
9. I bite my nails, and my cuticles.
10. I'm incredibly lazy and will sleep 12 hour stretches if allowed.
11. I drink, often to excess, and I'm a lousy drunk.
12. I quite regularly don't answer my cell phone just because I don't feel like it.
OK. I feel better now! You?