Have you ever heard of The Little Black Box? Basically, it's an independent company that gathers up samples from lots of indie businesses and puts them together in monthly "black boxes." The boxes are geared and teen girls and women and contain lots of beauty/bath type samples, jewelry, etc. They are different every month, depending on which indie businesses decide to contribute, and not all of the boxes are the same every month, depending on how many of each thing there are, though all of the boxes do have the same general value/number of items. There are a limited number of boxes for sale each month. The boxes cost $23 including priority mail shipping.
I heard about the program a year or so ago and desperately wanted to order one, but didn't have any extra cash at the time and forgot all about it. Then, recently, someone on a message board reminded me about them and I looked them back up. Since there were still February boxes left, I ordered one, and it arrived yesterday.
The Little Black Box is actually a little black bag, pictured at left. I don't know why that disappointed me, but it did. However, packaging doesn't really matter all that much--I was more interested in what was inside!
- From Artists Helping Animals: a sticker, a promotional magnet, and a small plastic owl magnet
- From No Duplicates: two (screenprinted, I think?) Christmas gift tags
- From babai alainn: a small knitted beanie (doll sized)
- From Vegan Etsy: a BOGO coupon for dog treat recipes
- From Kreations by Kathie: four small heart-shaped cinammon scented mini scent tarts and a 15% off coupon
- From Gems by Jerri: a pair of beaded earrings and a 15% off coupon
- From fluffnflowers: four emerald okra seeds
- From The Crocheted Baby: a crocheted mini face scrubber (like this) and a BOGO coupon
- From a shop whose name I could not read: a small beaded string--maybe intended to be a keychain?
- From Bloomhill Baby: a small embroidered guardian angel and a 15% off coupon
- From girls just wanna have fun: a crocheted face scrubbie and a 15% off coupon
- From Photobeads: a large colorful bead and a small promotional calendar
- From Augavino: a photo card and a 20% off coupon
- From Hippy Dippy Designs: a pair of beaded earrings
- From McGuinness Photography: a photo card and a 15% off coupon
- From Cottonwood Herbals: a 4 oz bar of "Clothesline Fresh" scented soap
- From Soap that Makes Scents: a lavender scented soap petal
- From Cheri's Organics: a small bar of green tea jasmine soap
- From Skin Candy: a 20% off coupon, 2 oz rice krispie treats lotion, lavender vanilla shower gel sample, coconut pear body butter sample, and watermelon taffy whipped cream soap sample
- From Simply Sentimental: a 10% off coupon
- From Lincoln Christie: a glass tile necklace
- A PETA sticker featuring a pig barking like a dog
- A Little Black Box button
All in all, I was neither blown away nor disappointed. There was nothing in the box I would have chosen for myself, but most of it seems pretty usable and reasonable to pay for. I found the companies that contributed coupons but no merchandise irritating--I shouldn't have to pay for your coupons. I thought the Skin Candy company was generous, as was Lincoln Christie. I would have liked more bath stuff and less jewelry, but I understand that's the luck of the draw. And I still love the concept.
So, I think I will try March's box and see what it holds. The website says it will be on sale March 27. And in the meantime, I'm considering contributing to the boxes once I get Crushworthy back up and running. Little tins of sugar scrub would be perfect, I think...