So I've been thinking about what I will sing to my kid. There are really two criteria:
1. I have to know the words.
2. It has to be in a pitch/key that I can at least sorta manage.
The list of possibilities, given those criteria, is...a bit odd:
1. "She Ain't Goin' Nowhere" (Guy Clark)
2. "Tecumseh Valley" (Townes Van Zandt, no way I can do Nanci Griffith's version)
3. "I'll Be There For You" (Bon Jovi)
4. "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys" (Ed Bruce, Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson)
5. "Midnight Radio" (from Hedwig)
6. "Origin of Love" (from Hedwig)
7. "Wild Horses" (The Rolling Stones)
8. "Theme from the Dukes of Hazzard" (Waylon Jennings)
9. "Angel from Montgomery" (John Prine)
10. "The Road Goes on Forever" (Robert Earl Keen)
Anybody have a vote? Another suggestion?