Things that are easier than I expected about returning to work:
- Figuring out what to wear.
- Feeling like my kid is being well taken care of in day care.
Things that are harder than I expected about returning to work:
- Having to talk to people all day.
- Only spending an hour or so a day with my baby.
- Making my brain focus on one task at a time.
- The tightness of the get the schedule.
- Figuring out when the hell I am going to do all the things I was doing during the day while I was home.
Intellectually, I know that all of my current angst is completely typical newly back-to-work mom stuff. I feel like I'm missing out on the baby's life and not seeing him enough. I feel like there are no hours of my day that aren't spoken for. I feel like I'm divided at all times, with half my brain in my cube and half wondering how the baby is, what he's doing, etc. I feel constantly breathless and just on the verge of panic. I'm told this will all get easier as time passes, and I absolutely believe it will, but, like much of the rest of this first-year-of-motherhood roller coaster, the meantime is pretty overwhelming.